March 12, 2008

Mumbai -so very Amchi Mumbai

I love U Mumbai! Gosh i do!!!!! :)

U have been my home for almost 3 decades now...having seen me as a toddler, having schooled me, witnessed my adolesent crushes, given me my first job, shaped my outlook, instilled in me the confidence to face the world chin up and soothed me when I felt blue :) The last bit surprises ppl but U gave me the anonimity which was deeply soothing. I felt secure in your huge crowds where no one stared at me or asked unneccessary questions. I loved your huge crowds which came pouring out like your signature rainfall to help in a catastrophe. Mumbai, U gave me the option of being alone when i needed to and people when i wanted them.
I miss u Mumbai dearest! Chennai is nice but its not u:( The freedom, the space, the secured feeling, the roadside chaats and tapri ki chai, the heated debates with random strangers on an India-Pak match, the downpour, the crazy but organized traffic, trains bursting on its seams but nonstop nevertheless, the friendly cabbies and considerate conductors, CCD and Baristas (I know they exist all over the country but sumthing is missin there!), the Udipi restuarants and Gujarati thalis (This is almost non-existent in Chennai), Tuesday queues at Siddhi Vinayak and the Dalal Street buzz!
Oh my....I can just go on but i need to get going....to bargain with the auto guy in Chennai(tht shud be a whole new post)....seeya !!
Luv u Mumbai.....u ROCK :D

1 comment:

The Pseudonym said...

You get a decent Gujarathi Thali at the Saravana Bhavan in Pondy bazar. Chaat you should try gangotree opp. stella maris college. The bombay Lassi in the lane just behind Devi and the Bombay Halwa house on Mount Road just next to India Silk house are must try's. T.Nagar apparently has this lane filled with street food which I am yet to explore. there are so many maami messes and andhra messes around the city. There is so much to eat here and so many places. Just need to figure out where? BTW the cakes and pastries and choc mousse at the canteen inside alliance francaise chennai, college road is simply amazing. try it out sometime. Yusuf is the guy who runs this place.